One path diverged in a wood. .


For Robert Frost there were two, and surely there can be more, but not this time, not for me.

Six weeks away from unemployment, I was looking down a dead end road. Sure, I had grandiose ideas, tentative promises, and courage. I would simply follow the yellow brick road to happy destiny, and deliver myself to the Emerald City to meet the Wizard of Oz (Actually, I tried this in 2007. It kind of worked). What I lacked in this otherwise watertight plan was a guaranteed source of income. In unstable times, this can be a little worrying.

Also, leaving my job was bittersweet. Ever since I arrived unexpectedly at Hawaii Preparatory Academy in the rarified mountain air of Waimea town in February 2008, I had come to enjoy my work immensely. The rainbow colors of my students, the absorbing community of a boarding school, a pristine island setting worthy of Plato's imagined school for philosopher kings: I had become a part of this place, and after two and a half years in the classroom, leaving was hard.

But necessary. Because I'm 29 and I live with my mother. Because paradise is a state of mind as much as a place. Because my corner of the Big Island is rural. Because I haven't had a legitimate date on the island since, um, ever. Time for a remix.

Where? Doing what? As my expiration date at HPA approached, these questions weighed on me. Until, on a routine scouring of the internet, I discovered a posting: Middle School Social Studies and English Teacher needed for a 1 year posting at young, private school on the Valley Isle.

And the name of this school? Maui Preparatory Academy. Of course. Founded in part by the former headmaster of Hawaii Prep, this burgeoning K-12 school serves the students and families of West Maui, stretching along Honoapiilani from Ma'alaea to Honolua (For those of you who he'e nalu, those names should mean something).

Okay, so yes, I can see Maui from my current bedroom window. I'd still be living in the most isolated island chain on earth. Sadly, this move wouldn't put me within quick striking distance of many of my most beloved friends and family.

But every island here is so different. And Maui: young, novel, compact, alive, and extreme. Here was a chance to hold on to much of the best things of Hawai'i, continue in an engaging profession, and try out a new community

The fire was lit. I applied, traveled for guest lessons (Jim Crow and Polish history!), met administrators, made my pitch, and waited weeks, breath baited.

Today I received the call. One road diverges, and it is the one I will take now. The 2010-2011 school year will see me in a new community, in a new position, with a new set of classes, students, colleagues, and a new home.

I'm excited, and grateful. To the Valley Isle!


Comments

  1. In this day and age we have many ways to keep connected, Andrew. Selfishly, I have a connection to the west of me, now - one with a quiver!

    Happy trails!

    david

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news! I'm actually flying out to Kauai for Rodeno's birthday in September and the flight was only $600. I haven't really been to Hawaii as a full fledged adult and didn't realize how cheap it was to get there. You may have a visitor in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts